Unlike the conventional marketing strategies that involved using traditional methods to help create brand awareness, Inbound Marketing Strategy utilizes multiple forms of marketing such as social media marketing, events, content marketing, SEO, blogs, etc to attract fresh business opportunities and create awareness about a brand.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a term that is being very frequently used by many in the world of marketing. And it is true that it helps the website generate free traffic from search engines. Although free it is considered as an Organic search result because website owners do not pay to appear on the search results. And as being found on the internet is a critical concern for every company, it makes it compulsory to incorporate SEO into Inbound Marketing Strategy.
But, before that, it is necessary to understand how Inbound Marketing Strategy works. When looked closely, the strategy involves four stages:
How do an Inbound Marketing Strategy works?
- First, compelling content is a must. Appearing in search engines frequently and providing compelling contents to the visitor acts as a user magnet. This can be achieved through the website’s blog, Social Publishing and using keywords wisely.
- After the user has your attention, you need to convert this visitor into a lead. A visitor is converted to a lead through calls-to-action, asking them to fill a form or directing them to a landing page.
- After that, with the help of CRM, Workflows, and Emails you turn these leads into your customers.
- Having converted a total stranger into a customer, now you need to delight the customers and make them act like passive promoters through Smart content, Surveys, Social Monitoring, etc.
Inbound Marketing schemes include the following aspects:
- Social Media Marketing over various platforms like Twitter, Facebook, etc and in forums.
- Link Generation and building referrals for non-social external traffic
- Content Marketing through Blogs, videos, website copy, and e-books.
- Email Marketing
- Keyword Assessment
- Customer service management and community engagement.
- Optimization of conversion rates
- Improvement of designs and page speed for better user experience.
- Customer retention and potential customer conversion.
How SEO fits into Inbound Marketing Strategy?
SEO makes sure your website is found on the search engines when a search relevant to your content is performed. This makes it a very crucial element to be included with the Inbound Marketing Strategy. Better SEO rankings do the job of bringing users to your website and when they are landed on your desired location, various inbound schemes like lead generating forms, content offer and email marketing come into action.
Quality Content for SEO
SEO is content dependent. It works fine without inbound marketing, but not without better content. Also, inbound Marketing ceases to exist without SEO. Therefore a good content is a must for search engines to display your website on top of the results. The search engines have got smarter and can no longer be tricked with spammy schemes. The only way to make sure of SEO strategies to work is with providing rich content for the user.
Although genuine and engaging content is a must for any website to help with SEO, creating an impactful content consistently is not a piece of cake. Also, neither are most SEOs very good with content. This is where inbound marketing benefits SEO. Thus they are both essential parameters for a website’s growth.
It is important to note that SEO Inbound Marketing Strategies can only be put into action when your target audience has been redirected to the landing page. To make sure the user is willing to visit the landing page, one of the most important things to do is, optimize keywords effectively on each page.
You must make sure that the content on your page is focused on retaining the visitor count and targeted towards converting those visitors into leads. This content must be incorporated with relevant and optimized keywords to generate visitors in the first place. For this, it is necessary to research the various keywords that are potential enough to drive people to your page. Also, the search engines will display only those pages in the higher order of a search result that have the keywords satisfying the search query. After having done that and having fantastic content ready in mind, it is very essential to place those keywords in a very genuine and natural way. It should not seem to be stuffed haphazardly throughout the article only for the sake of placing the keywords. This retains the beauty of the article. Moreover, the search engines have now become smarter and are likely to discard the pages from results that such spam activities intended to drive traffic through irrelevant keywords.
User Search Intent:
Placing apt keywords at the perfect place does very well in driving visitors to the desired page relevant to the search query. But, what matters more than that is, focusing on what the user’s intentions are while performing the search query. It is very important to figure out in which situations someone makes a search query related to your content and what are the queries likely to be made over the search engines.
This gives an insight for the content creators as well as for the SEO that what the user is actually looking for and thus help in creating the content as well as performing SEO strategies. If the user is likely to perform a query asking a question related to the content in your website, it is important for your content to be answering the question in an appropriate way. Having a dynamic content that can satisfy the results of multiple search queries is a cherry on the top.
In addition to having effective keywords and designing contents that answer to people’s intent, it has now become important to respond to the context under which the user is asking the question to top the SEO rankings. Search engines have become smarter and are also getting better at understanding the search contexts by users. Quoting the opinion of Wikipedia: “Google Now uses a natural language user Interface to answer questions, make recommendations, and perform actions by delegating requests to a set of web services. Along with answering user-initiated queries, Google Now passively delivers information to the user that it predicts they will want, based on their search habits.”
The search engines now look to deliver the user a more personalized and optimized result based on their search history. Thus they redirect as well as rank those pages on top that match their expectations to provide the user with better search experience. As the users begin to see more of their world being adapted to their interests and history, their expectations with the companies will develop.
Also, a company with people having top-notch internal education on enhancing SEO rankings, it still needs to have someone to pilot the site’s online presence as well the search performances. A compatible SEO makes sure that he continually helps a larger Inbound Marketing team to boost of marketing through the following strategies:
- He works with the development team to make sure the site runs faster, is error-free, crawlable and trackable.
- Continually analyzing trends and keyword data as well as tracking links and traffic per content, to help the content management team create engaging and compelling link-worthy, keyword rich content that satisfies the user intent.
- Synchronizing with the PR contacts and Marketing Directors to develop a consistent and effective brand strategy and take care that it has been seeded to the correct place for maximum impact and authority.
- Building and strengthening relationships with the influencers in the field for shares and links which prove to be very useful while trying to establish brand credibility.
- Collaborating with the core design and UX teams to ensure that a smoother experience for the user doesn’t affect and has also been taken care of for useful experience for search engines
- Supporting conversion rates by looking into analytics and taking the required steps to make sure to retain those customers who are search-driven. This can be carried out effectively by sharing the analytics data with the account management team and the business development team.
Beginning to envision SEO as a series of collaborations with the highly experienced colleagues can boost the inbound marketing program as a team. It is thus required for both SEO and the entire Inbound Marketing team to work hand in hand to be able to approach towards greater zeniths of success.